- Thu Oct 30, 2014
Perseverance under pressure pleases God. This may mean:
- Calling a male friend to help fight the temptation to indulge.
- Seeing a marriage counselor with our wives for the second visit, even after a bad initial meeting.
- Not giving up our connection to other Christian men.
- Accepting help from others to do the right thing before God.
- Saying "no" to more work so that we can say "yes" to God and family
- Serving our wives without resentment, because it pleases God.
Today, as the moments of testing come, I
will remember that God is always with me
and is pleased when I seek and obey His
guidance when facing stress and pressure.
- Wed Oct 29, 2014
Inside of every God's man there is a living, breathing vortex of supernatural power. Through prayer, our faith is placed in a powerful person and in His promises. Consider these promises:
Come to me, all you who are weary and
burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my
yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am
gentle and humble in heart, and you will find
rest for your souls. For my yolk is easy and
my burden is light.
God's promise: I will relieve the pressure and replace it with rest.
All things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.
(MATTHEW 21:22, NASB)
God's promise: You will receive when you request.
- Tue Oct 28, 2014
There's an old story about the war between flesh and spirit being like two dogs fighting within us. One time a man asked a preacher, "who wins in the end?" The preacher relied, "The one you feed."
We feed the Holy Spirit's abilities to win sexual battles in our lives by surrendering to His control, feeding regularly on God's Word, cultivating a sensitive ear to His leadings and reminders, and quickly confessing when we blow it. It's really that simple. Because of the Holy Spirit's vital role in our spiritual success, we must begin every day by asking Him to fill us.
Being filled with the Holy Spirit is not meant to be an emotional crisis moment but rather an ongoing act of faith that is experienced moment by moment, situation by situation, each day. When God's man is filled with God's Word as well His Holy Spirit, he also becomes a might man of prayer.
Lord, I want to be counted as a mighty man
of prayer. As I fill myself with Your Word,
fill me with Your Holy Spirit
- Mon Oct 27, 2014
Some men have failed in their battle for sexual purity, and some have won. The difference? Those who won hated their impurity. They were going to war and were going to win - or die trying. Every resource was leveled upon the foe.
There will be no victory in this area of your life until you choose manhood with all your might.
Leading up to a decisive choice for sexual purity, we must make some hard choices and answer some hard questions:
- How long do I intend to stay ensnared?
- How long must my family wait?
- How long before I can look God in the eye?
- Sun Oct 26, 2014
God's man has to establish florescent lines in the sand that he simply will not cross so that he can accomplish God's purposes for his life. This requires humility, faith, and diligence: "Keep the rules and keep your life; careless living kills" (PROVERBS 19:16, MSG). Some ideas to consider:
- We can't just show up and expect to conquer temptations and direct attacks against our faith.
- We have to train ourselves in spiritual disciplines.
- We have to plan for temptation and think through dangerous scenarios ahead of time.
- We have to form a network of support that follows us wherever we go.
- We have to cooperate aggressively with others who support our spiritual goals.
Father, I very much need You to help me
walk faithfully on the path to doing Your
will in the advancement of Your kingdom.