Imagine waking up to a fresh cup of coffee, opening your daily news and the top headline alerts readers, “God Fears Your Faith is Going Stale.”
Not sure the networks would pick up that newswire. But God’s man should! I can envision the lead paragraph going something like:
DATELINE — WORLD NEWS TODAY — God, who calls himself “I Am,” announced today he fears Christian men are forgetting their first love, allowing their faith to grow stale which is creating major weaknesses in the front lines of the ongoing spiritual battle between good and evil. God warns men who follow Him to keep their faith fresh or they will fall victim to sin, self, and Satan.
I fear men often accept Jesus into their lives, get excited for a season, then check the box called “faith” and resort to showing up Sundays to sit in a pew. The excitement of forgiveness of sin, being loved by God, and the power of life transformation can grow stale unless you fan the flame of faith.
That’s what happened to Nineveh. It’s a sad story because within 100 years after turning to God, not one man followed God. It’s also a parable for us men. We can’t be like Nineveh. Don’t let your love for God grow stale. Keep it fresh. Here’s how:
- Commit to daily “face time” with God. Be like Moses who went to the Tent of Meeting to spend one-on-one time with God. When he came out, everyone could tell he had been with God. If you seek God daily, others will notice too. Invite His presence and spirit to be with you, lead you and love you. Read His word as if your life depends on it, because it does.
- Talk with God. Exercise mindful interactions with God through prayer without “prayer-speak.” Nurture an intimacy with God by being transparent, vulnerable and trust Him to hear you. FYI – you can “pray” or talk to God throughout the day. It doesn’t have to be reserved for the morning, or before meals (hint).
- Share your faith. Jesus said to spread the gospel to all nations, not sit in a pew. You may or may not “close the deal” and lead someone to Christ, but you can certainly play a role by referring to your faith and your testimony. Not only can your story have powerful impact on the hearts of others, but it reminds you of the origin of your faith — when it was the freshest.
- Hang out with believers and do good. Ever spend time with a new believer? It’s exciting! It’s fresh! Keep your faith from going stale by hanging out with other believers and do some good together. Give to the poor, feed the hungry, volunteer to serve — doing good will feel fresh, and the beneficiaries of your efforts will recognize faith in action. Here’s another idea: Attend the next baptism at your church, and celebrate with those who are openly sharing their commitment to follow Christ. You will see, hear and feel what fresh faith is all about.
- 5. Explore new learning. Every time I learn something new about God, my faith gets a fresh injection. God wants us to know him, and He uses teachers who gain insight from His spirit to share what God is saying. I’ve dedicated my life to sharing God’s fresh stuff, hoping to awaken the sleeping giant in the church: Men.
Here’s some good news, I believe God wants you to read daily … From Lamentations 3:22-23, “Because of the Lord’s great love, we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning …”
For more “Fresh” stuff and insight, check out my book “SOAR: Are you ready to accept God’s POWER?”
* * *
In case you missed them:
Mediocrity’s Message to Your Men: You Don’t Really Matter – In A World of Quality, Church Is In A Quandary
Try the 30-day Free Trial and sign up for the Every Man Ministries Newsletter.
Every Man Ministries was Founded by Kenny Luck, Men’s Pastor at Saddleback Church. Kenny created the Sleeping Giant program as a way to give men the tools and resources to make the most of their own men’s ministries and make the most of their walks with God. Watch Kenny’s teachings at EveryManMinistries.com.