In a specific sense, predetermined boundaries may include deciding to take actions such as these:
- Blocking the pay-per-view option at the hotel front desk.
- Refusing to make low-blow putdowns during marital disagreements.
- Saying no when asked to do things on weekends that don’t involve the whole family.
- Never being alone with a woman who is not your wife.
- Turning the channel when there’s gratuitous skin on the tube.
- Refusing to keep self-destructive secrets from your wife.
- Never making a significant financial or family decision without first consulting your wife.
When we deal with these issues ahead of time, we create the lanes in which we can freely allow our spiritual energies to work. We are counting the cost of what it will take to build a solid spiritual life; we are adjusting our expectations to match the reality of being God’s man.