The first cousin of honesty for God’s man is confession. For the most part, we men are not good at it. We choke on phrases like:
- “I was wrong.”
- “I am sorry.”
- “Your are right.”
- “I need to ask your forgiveness.”
We are cowards. We just don’t have the stomach for confession because it forces us to confront our actions and ourselves. No one likes to do that. Revealing our personal hang-ups or issues is too risky, so it’s better to lie low. Buts the alternative is much worse.
- We lose intimacy with God.
- We lose intimacy with our wives.
- We lose intimacy with our kids.
- We lose credibility with others.
- We lose connection with the truth.
- We lose fellowship with the Holy Spirit.
- We lose somethibg from our character.
- We lose days, weeks, months, even years of joy and peace.